Memories of Warsaw streets from the 1960s
This is one of a few neon museums in the world. Why was it established in Warsaw?
It all began in 1956, after the fall of Stalinism, when the country gained a moment of breath and began to modernize, aspiring to Western standards. The ambition of the authorities at that time was to give Warsaw a character of a European metropolis, hence the beginning of the city’s great ‘neonisation’ and often forced installations of light advertisements by shop owners.
The formation of each neon was carefully controlled and had to be approved by the Office of the Architect or Plastics of Warsaw. Thus, most of the objects exhibited at the Museum are neons designed by professionals – outstanding artists and graphic artists who are also the creators of the well-known Polish School of Posters.
In addition to collecting light advertising, the Museum also deals with protection, research and renewal of neon signs that still function in the urban space.
photo: Krystian Lipiec Minska 25 (at Soho Factory), Warsaw www.neonmuzeum.org